Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ch. 2 What Works?

Explore Trial Questions
-In what ways are the students at my school behind the curve so to speak not having had elementary or middle school art?
-What are ways that art can be a part of the elementary and middle school classrooms without having art programs at the schools? 

 Position Yourself in Relation to the Question
-I am from the same system and same course offerings as my students. I can completely empathize with them.
-I know that in high school I would not have felt prepared to take AP art although as a freshmen in college I was more than prepared in all of my art and design classes.
- I don't foresee any ethical issues.
-The students who will be best served by this study are those who are self motivated and interested in pursuing
 the arts.
 -I guess that I am biased in the sense that I don't feel that my students are reaching their potential that they could if they had been exposed to art education from K-12.

 Refine Your Question
--My question doesn't seem to be unclear to myself or to peers.
-There are no ethical issues involved in my question. 
-What bothers me is how would I be able to find the answer to my question. The acquisition and organization of data scares me. So I probably need to refine my question. 
-What I really like about my question is its ability to foster change in my school system. We desperately need more art classes and I would love to help that movement.

1 comment:

  1. I am actually quite stunned that there is no art in elementary and middle school in your district. I am sure this inhibits recruitment for high school art. It would seem that there needs to be an understanding that visual art is a part of literacy and the district should take a look at the common core standards in literacy to see visual arts in a new way as an avenue for meaning making and creative thinking.

    ReplyDelete