Saturday, June 9, 2012

VTS II Blog Topic #8 Reflect

I like teaching with big ideas and incorporating VTS into my photography class has been such a great experience this year and this semester. The students are catching on quickly this semester. Much faster and better than they did last semester. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the fact that I'm better at VTS and I think that the images this semester are better for VTS. That they fit within the big idea and unit makes them all the better. I'm a little surprised at how much I enjoy VTS considering how miserable it was when I first began in the fall. I love it. I love to hear what the kids are thinking. I love finding just the right image. I love getting to stand back and let them talk and tell me what they say. I love that there is no right or wrong. Finding the right image is always a challenge but one that I enjoy. I play devils advocate when I'm looking for an image. And of course each discussion brings about its own challenges because you never know what the students are going to bring to the table. Are they talking over one another? Are they saying ridiculous things? Is no one speaking? I've had very few frustrations directly related to VTS this semester. All of my frustrations are centered on needing to clone myself because there isn't enough time in a day, but I know many teachers feel that way. It seems to be par for the course. Teaching is not for the weak or even for those who like to sleep. I'm really glad that I have used my photography classes to learn VTS in. It is what I am going to be teaching the most of in future and VTS works so beautifully in it as I am sure that it will in my other classes as well but I'm glad that I learned in with my photo students. I am definitely going to continue using VTS in my classroom on a regular basis after this course. 

1 comment:

  1. I, too, enjoy watching student thinking unfold. They inevitably surprise you and for me on several occasions, that surprise has changed my impression of particular studenst as learners. VTS asks students to start from what they know and what they can do (see) which is a position of total efficacy. For many who struggle academically, they don't get that feeling very often; at least in a school environment. The sense of self-satisfaction, particularly after noticing something interesting that their classmates haven't, is palpable and envigorating. It's a pretty awesome feeling for the teacher, too, to know that she or he has facilitated a change in self-perception as well as learning.

    I hope you will continue to use VTS in your photography classes and I'd love to hear how it goes; how you are able to find a comfortable place for it without course deadlines breathing down your neck so stay in touch!! From watching you for two semesters, I have a feeling you'll find the perfect niche and balance.

    ReplyDelete