Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ch. 5 & Ch. 6 What Works?

Ch. 5
Combine Data from Multiple Sources
-Well, I don't already have any data but other sources that I haven't considered would be student work (I have always assumed I would use student work but I don't think that I have actually mentioned it), student histories, school records, state records, surveys.

-I could collect a lot of this in my own classroom and collect it in other art classrooms as well.

-I would probably have to get my research approved by my principle and have my students sign consent and release forms but beyond that I'm not sure.

Ch.6
-I'm not able to search local archives at this time but there are many resources available in my community to add to historical perspective.

-I'm unable to count, measure and chart at this time as I don't have any student work or writing for data.

-I like several classmates previously took VTS and during that course we had to videotape discussions and later transcribe the discussions. From this previous experience and from the questions being asked in this exercise I can easily see how rich a source of data this could be.

-Having a new art teacher next door to me this past year and being her mentor I was constantly in her classroom, both formally and mostly informally. I know her classroom as well as I know my own, partly because I used to teach in her room too. I had two classrooms before we hired her. There are bulletin boards behind her desk, behind one of the sinks, and along the back wall. The bulletin boards are filled with art work by exemplar artist, student artwork, quotes and photographs. Her desk is in the front of the room next to the door and the smart board/white board. Her office, with another desk is at the front corner of the room too. The student tables are configured in a horseshoe with a demonstration table in the center. During class she is only at her desk to enter attendance and occasionally look something up. She is up and active moving around the classroom attending to student questions and monitoring student progress. The students keep their projects in their own storage place in the storage room and the materials and supplies are on shelves in the classroom next to the sinks or on a cart in the classroom. This classroom is unique for several reasons but what stands out to most people first is the amount of space. Its a huge room. The classroom atmosphere is somewhat laid-back but the students are on task and engaged. The students are listening to music with headphones and working independently while the teacher is monitoring their progress.   


1 comment:

  1. If you are not going to publish this research but are only using it to improve your instruction I don't think you need consent.

    ReplyDelete