Monday, June 11, 2012

VTS II Blog Topic #14

Angkor Wat, Cambodia         Steve McCurry
-Great choice! I was so impressed with my kids. Their insights were lightyears beyond where we began. I really think that some of my students have matured as a result of this process. The tone of this image, the ambiguity, the details, her actions, all played into a great image for discussion.

-There was a lot of evidence of student learning and I think that the students themselves were even aware of it. There were several comments about her posture which lead to her interests in the images on the wall. One student said "I can tell that she is really interested in what she is looking at because of the way her hands are on the wall so intently but at the same time her legs are casual." Wow, I wanted to go and hug this student.

-Yes there was evidence beyond the scope of the unit because there were several comments made back and forth about not seeing her face and overwhelming the students agreed that they didn't need to see her face. We never discussed this in class.

-This unit was the end of the year for us.

-VTS is a great summative assessment strategy. It certainly assesses student knowledge and understanding in an authentic way and in a way that allows students to support and scaffold one another.

1 comment:

  1. This image is so beautiful and haunting at the same time. I've got to research the work of this artist. He's brilliant as are you for selecting this image as a summative one!! When I read comments from my VTS students like "Wow. I wanted to go and hug this student" after a response, I have to ask myself how often core content teachers get these moving responses from students in their classes!Perhaps they do, but I can't image they happen as often in non-arts classes. Yes, I am somewhat biased. =0)

    Lovely image, brilliant selection, and a very thoughtful reflections. YEAH!!

    ReplyDelete