Monday, June 11, 2012

VTS II Blog Topic #6

These chapters on assessment were so informative. I thought that I had a really good handle on assessment and scoring and judging strategies but these chapters really opened up some doors for me to expand in my classroom. I get assessment and the core of what it is all about. Its a good thing. It takes practice I think and I seem to constantly be refining how I assess. I read in the intro article about student participation in the conception and crafting of the assessment tools. Thats smart. Why haven't I thought about that. I want to find a way to incorporate that. I like where in the same article it says "it should be neither cumbersome nor overwhelming for the teacher to manage"... I couldn't agree more. I'm not there yet but that is an attainable goal. The guideline article begins with asking the question "Why am I assessing?",  that question is so crucial. Later in this article is talks about using assessment to determine a grade and the need for both objective and subjective formats. Yes, I agree that balance is necessary. The scoring and judging strategies articles was awesome. So many of those were new to me. I like checklists and already use those in my classes. Tallies, I haven't used these but would like to. I love teacher interviews and use them in my classroom. Self-Assessments are great I use them too.


No comments:

Post a Comment