Saturday, June 9, 2012

VTS II Blog Topic 10: Video #5

Amanda and her Cousin, Amy Valese, North Carolina, 1990
  Mary Ellen Mark

Santa Claus at lunch, New York City, 1963
    Mary Ellen Mark

 VTSing two images at once verses a single image was different. I think it may have initially thrown my students off too. Participation was down with this discussion because the seniors were out of class but I chose to continue with the vts without them hoping to give the rest of the class an opportunity to speak up without the sometimes vocally dominant seniors. I don't know if it was because we were looking at two images at once or because of the images themselves but the discussion seemed to be focused on what statement these photos were making. It was harder for me to keep up with gesturing and paraphrasing for two images especially in my classroom with the top half of my big screen so far out of my reach. I need to invest in a good laser pointer for this. I think that looking at two images forced the students to look at more big picture stuff rather than details but for some students I think that they were maybe a little overwhelmed by it or they didn't know where to look. or what to think or how to connect them or if they should. Maybe if I had chosen images that were more different it would have been easier but I don't know. In my experience I would use this technique if I were wanting them to see connections or differences, or to draw conclusions, make statements. My students certainly used these in that way.

1 comment:

  1. I'm on my second laser pointer and I love 'em! I often get caught having to VTS an image I can't reach and it's a great solution. I have even seWen Philip Yenawine use one, so I know it's acceptable!

    You do a great job selecting provocative images! What a neat pairing these two make! Lots of layers and entry points with which to engage students!

    Two images definitely give students a lot to digest at once. I think it forces them from the get-go to use Bloom's upper level thinking skills. This might also account for a slower than usual start as students grapple with relationships. These two images also startle somewhat with the unexpected; juxtaposition of the gentle with the harsh. Very intriguing images, each by its own right, but together, really compelling. In a perfect world where you could take all the time you wished, it would be interesting to see if extended wait time would evolve into a very rich discussion. Sometimes time to just think and look are all it takes to motivate a great discussion.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete