Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ch. 3 & Ch. 4 What Works?

Ch3.
Discover what you know.
- At what level; elementary, middle or high school is art education most beneficial to student learning?
- Is art education just as beneficial if it is integrated into the general elementary classroom rather than being a separate subject?
- How much would standardized test scores rise if art was mandatory k-12.
- I would consult Dr. Larry Bunch, Dr. Ann Lindsay, Dr. Carol Brand and Debi West.
-websites, articles, journals

Google-ography.
-I'm finding many sources that are closely related but not exactly. I'm finding sources that talk about the benefits of art education and the effect of No Child Left Behind on art education. Things like that.
-I didn't know that there isn't a uniform national system for distinguishing between elementary, middle and high schools! Why not?!?

Shape Your Working Bibliography:
-Yes, I need more sources.
-Yes, I feel that I can eliminate some sources as well.
-No, They are all articles really. I need some books.
-I need to go to the library? I hate to say that I haven't used a library for books in a while.
-Yes I do think that I need to revise my question but I don't have a clear idea of what it should look like. I'm struggling with this. I'm indecisive by nature and this isn't easy for me.


Ch. 4
Explore the Emic and the Etic
-I had the same school experience as my students have. We are in the same district with the same course offerings. Although my middle school did have an art elective which was 40 mins a day for 9 wks and I only got it my 7th grade year. So it was minimal. Once I got into high school I took every art class offered and had an amazing teacher! I love the art program that we have at the school I teach at. I like the course offerings that we have. We have a really supportive administrative team but it seems to end there. I don't feel that same support from our district office. We have a really good close group of art teachers in our county. We communicate and work together regularly. My students excite me and I get bored with standardized tests. My students really are amazing and I know that they have so much potential. I am all the time thinking "Just imagine if so-and-so had art class from kindergarten or from 6th grade rather than just getting to take Art I as a senior in high school." It is so frustrating to me. How different would things be if they replaced P.E. classes with art classes?

-How expensive would it be to provide k-12 art education?
-Would it really improve student achievement across the board?
-I would need several different perspectives. I'm not sure who I would interview. Maybe parents, board members, community members, ...

Use the Three Questions for Analysis
- I'm surprised that I haven't returned to and followed up with the other original questions that I posed about student learning. Also I'm surprised that I haven't written a question about one-on-one feedback with students considering that was the first thing that I mentioned in Ch.1.
-I'm intrigued by this whole process. Also a little terrified. I'm intrigued with the opportunity to identify, study and maybe "fix" something in my own classroom.
-I'm really disturbed that I'm still not happy with a question.


State Your Ethics
- I am struggling with writing my own but found two that I like. I will work on this. 

http://www.yorku.ca/igreene/tricoun.htm

http://www.ethicsguidebook.ac.uk/What-needs-to-go-in-the-ethics-statement-20


1 comment:

  1. I would look at integrating the new common core in literacy and math as well as art. All support creative problem solving and meaning making. The Dana Foundation does research into the importance of right brain thinking in the arts to the overall achievement of children and their ability to engage and attend in other subjects.

    ReplyDelete